- at least one year of continuous and paid (full-time or an equal amount in part-time) work experience in a single occupation,
- within the last 10 years,
- at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 edition of the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC), and who are:
All applicants must also:
- meet the minimum language threshold (and submit approved language test results), and
- submit a Canadian educational credential or foreign credential and an assessment of their foreign education from an approved agency, and
- meet all requirements of the FSW Program.
Applications per eligible occupation:
Between May 4, 2013, and April 30, 2014, we will consider no more than 5,000 complete FSW applications for processing. Within the 5,000 cap, we will consider no more than 300 applications per eligible occupation for processing within this same time frame.
The cap year began on May 4, 2013, and will end on April 30, 2014, unless otherwise stated by the Minister.
Note: Due to the large number of applications we get, we cannot check that each one is complete on the same day it gets to the office. The numbers on this page are updated at least once a week, but are only a guide. There is no guarantee that an application sent in now will fall within the cap by the time it gets to the Centralized Intake Office.
Total received toward the overall cap: 2,785 of 5,000
(by National Occupational Classification [NOC] code)
|Number of complete applications counted towards the 300 sub-cap Footnote 1|
|0211 Engineering managers||300 (Cap reached) Footnote 2|
|1112 Financial and investment analysts||300 (Cap reached) Footnote 2|
|2113 Geoscientists and oceanographers||32|
|2131 Civil engineers||244|
|2132 Mechanical engineers||300 (Cap reached) Footnote 2|
|2134 Chemical engineers||115|
|2143 Mining engineers||5|
|2145 Petroleum engineers||4|
|2144 Geological engineers||59|
|2146 Aerospace engineers||14|
|2147 Computer engineers (except software engineers/designers)||300 (Cap reached) Footnote 2|
|2154 Land surveyors||9|
|2174 Computer programmers and interactive media developers||300 (Cap reached) Footnote 2|
|2243 Industrial instrument technicians and mechanics||57|
|2263 Inspectors in public and environmental health and occupational health and safety||145|
|3141 Audiologists and speech-language pathologists||9|
|3143 Occupational Therapists||30|
|3211 Medical laboratory technologists||164|
|3212 Medical laboratory technicians and pathologists’ assistants||61|
|3214 Respiratory therapists, clinical perfusionists and cardiopulmonary technologists||17|
|3215 Medical Radiation Technologists||35|
|3216 Medical Sonographers||27|
|3217 Cardiology technologists and electrophysiological diagnostic technologists||20|
Applications in the PhD stream:
CIC will accept 1,000 applications for processing per year under the PhD stream. To apply under this stream, you must have either
- finished at least two years of study in Canada towards a PhD, or
- graduated from a Canadian PhD program in the 12 months before we get your application.
Find out more about eligibility for this category.
The new PhD cap year began on May 4, 2013, and will end on April 30, 2014, unless otherwise stated by the Minister.