Home » Posts tagged 'Immigration to Canada'

Tag Archives: Immigration to Canada

Information for foreign-trained civil engineers

(2131) Verified: 2011 10 24

Information on requirements to practise

The engineering profession is regulated in Canada. It is illegal to practise as an engineer or to use the title “engineer” without being licensed as a professional engineer with a provincial or territorial association. However, individuals can do engineering work under the direct supervision of licensed professional engineers.

Provincial and territorial engineering regulatory bodies are responsible for setting the standards for entry into the profession and for issuing licences to those who meet established standards of qualifications and practice. Therefore, once you know where you will settle and work in Canada, you should contact the appropriate regulatory body for details on licensure procedures (See list below).

Engineers Canada established the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB) in 1965 to accredit undergraduate engineering programs at Canadian institutions which provide aspiring engineers with the academic requirements necessary for registration as a professional engineer in Canada. The list of accredited academic programs can be consulted on its web site, as well as the Engineers Canada Examination Syllabus.

Information on assessment of qualifications


The Roadmap to Engineering in Canada Web site is dedicated to providing information to international engineering graduates on the steps to obtain a licence to practise as a professional engineer in Canada. Roadmap to Engineering in Canada Web
For details, click here.

While not part of the registration process to become a licensed professional engineer in Canada, the Roadmap includes the on-line Academic Information Tool, which provides valuable information on how an undergraduate education in engineering obtained outside Canada compares to a Canadian undergraduate education in engineering.

This is important, as the definition of engineering varies from one country to the next. Work and training that in some countries are called engineering and are linked to the job title of engineer may fall into a different job category in Canada. The Academic Information Tool assists applicants in making an informed choice about immigrating to Canada.

Please note that the Academic Information Tool provides general information on how international academic credentials compare to those issued in Canada. It is not part of the formal immigration selection process, nor is it part of the engineering licensure process.

For more information, contact:


Engineers Canada
Foreign Credential Recognition Program
180 Elgin Street, Suite 1100
Ottawa ON   K2P 2K3   Canada
Phone : 613-232-2474
Phone (alternate): 1-877-408-9273
Fax : 613-230-5759
Email : newcomers@engineerscanada.ca


For immigration to Quebec, you should contact the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (OIQ) directly:


Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (OIQ)
Gare Windsor, bureau 350
1100, avenue des Canadiens-de-Montréal
Montréal QC   H3B 2S2   Canada
Phone : 514-845-6141
Phone (alternate): 1-800-461-6141
Fax : 514-845-1833
Email : info@oiq.qc.ca


You should note that if you are already licensed to practise as an engineer, and later wish to work in a non-regulated occupation, employers may request that you provide them with a formal assessment of your academic credentials.

If that is the case, or if you wish to have your credentials assessed for a purpose other than practising a regulated occupation in Canada, you may consult our Fact Sheet No. 2, “Assessment and recognition of credentials for the purpose of employment in Canada” and contact an academic credential evaluation service. Although evaluation services offer expert advice on how qualifications obtained abroad compare with academic credentials obtained in Canada, their evaluations are advisory only and do not guarantee recognition of your qualifications for employment or certification purposes in Canada. Please note that evaluation services charge a fee for their assessments.


Information on assessment for immigration purposes, under the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) is an immigration program administered by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), the department responsible for immigration to Canada.

CIC has listed the priority occupations (NOC 2131, 2132, 2134, 2143, 2144, 2145, 2146, and 2147) under the FSWP. To apply for immigration to Canada under this program, one of the requirements* is to obtain an “Educational Credential Assessment” (ECA) for immigration purposes from a CIC-designated organization. We invite you to communicate directly with one of the designated organizations to begin this process from outside Canada.

*It is important to note that this requirement is for immigration purposes only. It is separate from the process to obtain a license to practice from the relevant regulatory body listed below. Obtaining a license to practice is not required to apply for immigration.

Other relevant information

The following occupational profiles for specific engineering disciplines may also be of interest:


Specific Provincial/Territorial Information



flechevertehaut.gif List of engineering regulatory bodies



Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA)
1500 Scotia One, 10060 Jasper Avenue NW
Edmonton AB   T5J 4A2   Canada
Phone : 780-426-3990
Phone (alternate): 1-800-661-7020
Fax : 780-426-1877
Email : email@apegga.org

British Columbia

Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia (APEGBC)
Suite 200, 4010 Regent Street
Burnaby BC   V5C 6N2   Canada
Phone : 604-430-8035
Phone (alternate): 1-888-430-8035
Fax : 604-430-8085
Email : apeginfo@apeg.bc.ca


Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Manitoba (APEGM)
870 Pembina Highway
Winnipeg MB   R3M 2M7   Canada
Phone : 204-474-2736
Phone (alternate): 1 (866) 227-9600
Fax : 204-474-5960
Email : apegm@apegm.mb.ca

New Brunswick

Engineers and Geoscientists New Brunswick
183 Hanwell Road
Fredericton NB   E3B 2R2   Canada
Phone : 506-458-8083
Phone (alternate): 1-888-458-8083
Fax : 506-451-9629
Email : info@apegnb.com

Newfoundland and Labrador

Professional Engineers and Geoscientists Newfoundland and Labrador (PEGNL)
P.O. Box 21207
10 Fort William Place, Suite 203
St. John’s NL   A1A 5B2   Canada
Phone : 709-753-7714
Fax : 709-753-6131
Email : main@pegnl.ca

Northwest Territories

Northwest Territories and Nunavut Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists
201, 4817-49th Street
Yellowknife NT   X1A 3S7   Canada
Phone : 867-920-4055
Fax : 867-873-4058
Email : napeg@napeg.nt.ca

Nova Scotia

Engineers Nova Scotia
1355 Barrington Street, P.O. Box 129
Halifax NS   B3J 2M4   Canada
Phone : 902-429-2250
Phone (alternate): 1-888-802-7367
Fax : 902-423-9769
Email : info@engineersnovascotia.ca


Northwest Territories and Nunavut Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists
201, 4817-49th Street
Yellowknife NT   X1A 3S7    Canada
Phone : 867-920-4055
Fax : 867-873-4058
Email : napeg@napeg.nt.ca


Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO)
40 Sheppard Avenue West, Suite 101
Toronto ON   M2N 6K9   Canada
Phone : 416-224-1100
Phone (alternate): 1-800-339-3716
Fax : 416-224-8168
Fax (alternate): 1-800-268-0496
Email : MSaldanha@peo.on

Prince Edward Island

Engineers PEI
135 Water Street
Charlottetown PE   C1A 1A8   Canada
Phone : 902-566-1268
Fax : 902-566-5551
Email : info@EngineersPEI.com


Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (OIQ)
Gare Windsor, bureau 350
1100, avenue des Canadiens-de-Montréal
Montréal QC   H3B 2S2   Canada
Phone : 514-845-6141
Phone (alternate): 1-800-461-6141
Fax : 514-845-1833
Email : info@oiq.qc.ca


Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Saskatchewan (APEGS)
2255-13th Avenue, Suite 104
Regina SK   S4P 0V6   Canada
Phone : 306-525-9547
Phone (alternate): 1-800-500-9547
Fax : 306-525-0851
Email : apegs@apegs.sk.ca


Association of Professional Engineers of Yukon (APEY)
312B Hanson Street
Whitehorse YT   Y1A 1Y6   Canada
Phone : 867-667-6727
Fax : 867-668-2142
Email : staff@apey.yk.ca
Enhanced by Zemanta

Coming to Canada as a Nurse – The Process

Permanent Resident Card (2002-2007)

Permanent Resident Card (2002-2007) (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Permanent Resident Card (2002-2007) (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
In our last edition, CIC News explained how Canada has opened its doors to welcome internationally educated nurses. This article will focus on the different ways a nurse can come to Canada to work and live. As the demand for nurses continues to grow, nurses are presented with the opportunity to seek either permanent or temporary residency in Canada.
A registered nurse or licensed practical nurse seeking permanent residency in Canada is invited to discover the benefits of the Quebec Skilled Worker (QSW) immigration program. Nurses with international credentials may also seek temporary residency in Canada if they obtain a valid job offer and subsequent work permit. Once working in Canada on a temporary basis, permanent residency options may later present themselves through alternate immigration programs.
Permanent Residency: The Quebec Option:
The Province of Quebec has implemented an immigration policy that reflects its high demand for nurses. With high salaries, available jobs and a rapidly expanding healthcare system, Quebec seeks to bring the best international nursing professionals to its cities and towns. The QSW program, the province’s most popular program for permanent residency, has been set up in a way that benefits qualified nurses.
The QSW program offers internationally educated nurses an opportunity to seek permanent residency in Canada without the need to secure a job offer. The QSW program is a points-based selection system and points are awarded for various factors which include age, education, area of training, work experience, language ability etc. If an applicant scores enough points to reach the pass-mark, he or she will generally qualify for a Quebec Selection Certificate, which ultimately leads to a Canadian permanent resident visa, in the absence of health and/or security issues.
The QSW selection criteria awards a significant number of points for French language ability. However, under this program many nurses are able to score enough points to reach the pass mark without obtaining any points for French language ability. This is because nurses are able to earn very high points for the “area of training” selection factor as well as high points for their education.
To find out more about the QSW program and its selection factors, please click here.
Temporary Residency: The Work Permit Option:
As the Canadian Nurses Association (CNA) is predicting a continued shortage of nurses in the future, nursing jobs in the country are more plentiful than ever. Internationally educated nurses may apply to work temporarily in Canada. Temporary residency for foreign trained nurses may be achieved if the applicant secures a valid job offer and subsequently, a work permit.
To begin this process, an applicant with a nursing degree from outside Canada must have their educational credentials assessed. Since educational credentials can be assessed from both inside and outside Canada, applicants are given the option to remain in their country of residence during the assessment process.
After educational credentials have been assessed, applicants must register as a nurse in Canada. When this has been completed, an applicant may initiate the process of obtaining a job offer and work permit in Canada. To facilitate the process of finding a job offer, some individual provinces have implemented services helping connect internationally educated nurses to employment opportunities in healthcare communities.
Once working in Canada on temporary basis, an applicant looking for permanent residency may then explore their immigration options through programs such as the Canadian Experience Class or Provincial Nominee programs.
How to register as a nurse in Canada:
Any nurse planning to work in Canada must be deemed as qualified to practice as a Registered Nurse (RN) or Licensed/Registered Practical Nurse (LPN/RPN). To qualify, an applicant must register with either the Canadian Nurses Association (CAN) or the Canadian Council for Practical Nurse Regulators (CCPNR).
In Canada registration requirements are established by individual provinces and territories. To register with the CNA or CCPNR, nurses must first apply to the nursing regulatory body of the province or territory where they wish to work:
In general, in order to be eligible to register as an RN or LPN, an applicant will need to demonstrate competency to practice. To demonstrate this, an applicant will need to have their education credentials assessed. Once education credentials are deemed equivalent to nursing education programs in Canada, the nursing regulatory body will then address whether other application requirements are met. Additional application requirements generally include criteria such as work experience, good character, language proficiency, screening for criminal history and registration in the jurisdiction where the applicant currently practices.
Once a positive assessment of the application requirements has been met, Canadian provinces and territories, with the exception of Quebec, require that nurses write the Canadian Registered Nurse Examination (CRNE) or Canadian Practical Nurse Registration Exam (CPNRE) as part of the registration or licensure process (the province of Quebec maintains its own registration examination). At present, these exams can only be written in Canada. Once an applicant has successfully completed the required examination, the applicant may be eligible to work as a nurse in Canada.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Transitioning from Semi-Skilled Worker Status to Canadian Permanent Residency

Recruitment Day
Recruitment Day (Photo credit: Middle Island Fire Department)
By David Cohen
Over 300,000 temporary foreign workers currently reside in Canada. They perform vital jobs in a wide array of professions and skill levels. Economic prosperity in Canada is increasingly dependent on workers who perform ‘semi-skilled’ occupations. These workers can be found in a range of key sectors, including but not limited to trucking, hospitality, construction, and manufacturing.
According to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), semi-skilled work requires a secondary-school level of education, and/or on the job training in order to perform. However, it does not necessarily require post-secondary education. Semi-skilled occupations are classified as ‘C’ level in Canada’s National Occupation Classification (NOC), which organizes Canadian jobs according to their industry and the level of skill required to perform them. In addition to semi-skilled (NOC ‘C’ level) jobs, there are skilled jobs (NOCs A and B levels) and managerial jobs (NOC 0 level). Below semi-skilled are unskilled jobs, which are classified as NOC level D.
Most economically-driven Canadian immigration programs require workers to have experience in a ‘skilled’ job (NOC 0, A, or B levels). However, semi-skilled workers already in Canada may have a number of immigration options available to them, should they choose to pursue a Permanent Residency application.
In this article, the first in a two-part series, CIC News will explore the various programs that offer permanent residency options to semi-skilled (and sometimes unskilled) workers:
Options for Semi-Skilled Workers
All economic immigration programs with semi-skilled worker streams come under the Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs). These programs are tailored to suit the labour needs of individual provinces. As such, no two are exactly the same. Interested applicants are encouraged to research what sort of regulations and requirements a program needs before applying.
In this article, CIC News will briefly outline five PNPs that include a semi-skilled worker component. In the next mid-month newsletter, we will explore the final five PNPs. Be aware that applicants to all PNP programs now require applicants to meet meet minimum language requirements in either English or French:
Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP):
  • Employer Driven Stream/Semi-Skilled Worker Category
    • Semi-skilled workers in the following five industries may be eligible to apply to this stream: Food and Beverage Processing, Hotel and Lodging, Manufacturing, Trucking, Foodservice.
    • An unlimited amount of candidates in the fields of front desk/clerk, room attendant, food and beverage processors, heavy haul truckers of all types, and food services will be accepted by the program until November 28th, 2013.
    • Applicants must be currently living in Alberta and working in the province for at least six months. Minimum total work experience in the field ranges from 6 months (trucking) to three years (food and beverage).
    • English language requirements for semi-skilled workers applying through the AINP program are less stringent than requirements for skilled workers
  • Strategic Recruitment Stream/Compulsory and Optional Trades Category
  • Long Haul Truck Driver Stream
    • Truck drivers must be working in the industry in Saskatchewan for a minimum of 6 months, and have a total of 2 years of experience. They must have an eligible job offer from an employer in the field.
    • They must possess Saskatchewan Class 1A license and be able to drive to the United States.
  • Hospitality Sector Pilot Project
    • Food/Beverage Servers, Food Counter Attendant/Kitchen Helpers, and Housekeeping/Cleaning Staff may be eligible under this stream
    • Applicants must be living in Saskatchewan and must have worked for at least 6 months in one of the above industries.
  • Strategic Occupations Stream/Entry-Level and Semi-Skilled Worker Category
    • Semi-skilled workers in the following three industries may be eligible to apply to this stream: Tourism and Hospitality, Long-Haul Trucking, and Food Processing.
    • Both semi-skilled and unskilled (NOC levels C and D) workers may be eligible to apply provided they are living and working in Northeastern British Columbia. This is provided as part of the Northeast Pilot Project.
  • Skilled Worker Applicants with Employer Support Stream
    • Workers in occupations at NOC C and D levels in the following industries may be eligible for this program: business, health, sales, trades/transportation, natural resources, and manufacturing. They must have been working for more than a year with their New Brunswickemployer. They must also receive an eligible job offer from the employer.
    • Applications to this program are assessed on a points scale. Applicants must meet the 50 point mark to qualify for the program. Points are allocated on the basis of age, education, work experience, language ability and overall adaptability.
  • Employer Direct Stream
    • NOC C and D level workers may be eligible for this program provided that they have been living and working in Manitoba for 6 months prior to submission of their application. They must hold an eligible job offer from a Manitoba employer.
Enhanced by Zemanta


Source: MuchmorCanada.
As more than a million people wait in the immigration queue, Canada’s Immigration Minister Jason Kenney has said that applicants with experience in key occupations and those with job offers from Canadian employers will go to the front of the line.
Currently, about 30% of Canadian immigrants are economic migrants selected on the basis of their necessary skills or an arranged employment offer. Kenney recently confirmed that while immigration levels won’t jump drastically, immigration had a role to play in off-setting the country’s ageing population and skills shortages. Today, about 70% of Canada’s 34.1 million population is of working age – a figure expected drop to 60% within 25 years.

Kenney said federal government would continue to recognise the importance of the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) to help provinces and territories obtain the skilled migrants they need to fill labour shortages. Under the scheme, provinces can choose to sponsor migrants whose skills, education and work experience will have an immediate economic impact.
The top three provincial nominees are the booming oil and gas provinces of Manitoba, Alberta and Saskatchewan. Last year, Canada accepted 38,428 provincial/territory nominees, including more than 8,600 temporary foreign workers who later became permanent residents.
Canada will accept a record of 40,000 provincial nominee immigrants in 2011 – five times more than Canada’s PNP intake for 2005. The Citizenship and Immigration Department is currently conducting a series of nation-wide consulations about immigration levels and the type of migrants it should accept into the country.


Prospective immigrants and visitors to Canada now have a new interactive web tool at their fingertips to help them determine if they are eligible to come to Canada. Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism Minister Jason Kenney announced today the launch of the Come to Canada Wizard.
“We understand that our application processes can be complex, but this new tool is a major service improvement,” said Minister Kenney. “The Wizard will make it easier for potential immigrants and visitors to navigate the application process.”
“The Wizard should also reduce applicants’ reliance on immigration consultants and hopefully will make the Department more efficient by decreasing calls to our Call Centre,” Minister Kenney added.
The Wizard simplifies the application process by matching applicants with the federal immigration option that best suits their specific circumstances. The Wizard does this by asking applicants a series of questions and, based on the answers, it provides the best options for them.
The Wizard leads applicants to a results page that breaks down the application steps and provides instructions and forms.
To view the Wizard, go to www.cic.gc.ca/cometocanada.

Immigrants need cash in hand and have to be prepared for tradeoffs, sacrifices

MONTREAL – Newcomers to Canada, get ready: being mentally prepared to make sacrifices or tradeoffs when you arrive on these shores is very important, immigrants who have already made the jump told a recent Royal Bank poll.
The survey found that 58 per cent of Chinese and South Asian immigrants who responded named emotional preparedness as the key for newcomers adjusting to life in Canada.
A big part of that mental preparation is also the key for meeting financial challenges that can await immigrants, according to one recent arrival.
“When anybody comes here, I think the requirement is that they must have $15,000 for immediate expenses,” said Ash Ghose, who came from India in 2004 and works in insurance at RBC (TSX:RY) in Toronto.
“The first two or three months are fine, but if you do not have any source of income coming in after four or five months then the panic sets in.”
Ghose, who trained as a mechanical engineer but notes that “all my life I have been a salesperson,” said he sold off everything he owned in India and came over with two suitcases and some paintings.
“I built everything from scratch here, but that is something one has to be mentally prepared for.”
The RBC poll also found that 47 per cent of immigrants surveyed conducted online research to understand more about life in Canada.
Judy Sillito of the Edmonton Mennonite Centre for Newcomers said any research that can be done before arriving is helpful, but added that immigrants need an “openness to the unknown.” She also said immigrants aren’t always prepared for the sticker shock of living in Canada.
“They get here and find out it’s not so easy to make a lot of money and have enough to live on, much less send a lot home,” said Sillito.
“There’s absolutely no way to explain that to someone who hasn’t been in Canada.”
She said another surprise for immigrants is finding out how much time new Canadians can spend at work.
“When you come to a new country and you have to work and day job and a night job and do weekend work, it really takes a toll on the family,” said Sillito, whose organization serves 10,000 immigrants a year.
Mikal Skuterud of the University of Waterloo said immigrants tend to be older and much more educated than Canadian-born workers, but they often have to take jobs that pay less than their education would imply they should earn.
“Their unemployment rates are not that different from Canadian-born workers,” said Skuterud, assistant professor in the university’s department of economics.
“They do get jobs and they get jobs quite quickly but they’re not very good jobs. They’re what immigrants refer to as ‘survival jobs.’ They appear to get stuck in these jobs. They have a very low propensity to move out of these jobs and get into the track or career they were trained for.”
Statistics Canada’s 2006 census found that a recent male immigrant with a university degree earned $30,332 yearly, versus $44,545 for a Canadian-born man with a degree.
Nick Noorani, a motivational speaker and consultant who helps immigrants integrate, said it’s essential to have the proper language skills, especially on the job. If you’re an immigrant and a sales manager, you need to have the same language skills as a Canadian-born sales manager, he said.
Immigrants need to consider what other skills they have to find work, he said, adding his background was in advertising but he turned to publishing when he came to Canada.
“You need to have a Plan B,” said Noorani, chief executive of Destination Canada Information Inc.
“When we come here as immigrants we are so focused on, ‘This is what I used to do and I want to continue doing only that.’ That leads to a problem.”

Immigration backlog a major challenge

Jason KenneyImage by mostlyconservative via Flickr

MONTREAL – Canada could soon stop accepting applications for immigration in an attempt to clear the backlog of more than a million people currently awaiting processing around the world, Federal Immigration Minister Jason Kenney said Friday.
In Montreal to hold consultations on how many immigrants should be accepted into Canada per year – and just as importantly what kind of immigrants – Kenney told an audience at the Armenian Community Centre that clearing the huge backlog is one of the main challenges faced by his department as it plans for the years ahead.
“There’s an unlimited number of people who want to come to Canada,” Kenney said, adding that about 254,000 would be accepted this year, down from 281,000 in 2010.
“We used to have hundreds of thousands of applications more than we could process, and it’s stupid and unfair to make people wait seven, eight, nine years for their application to be even looked at. That’s the rationale for limiting the number of new applications.”
Two years ago, Parliament modified immigration laws to give the minister the authority to place a cap on applications, and this year Kenney has so far chosen to limit the number accepted in the Federal Skilled Worker program, for example, to 10,000. He emphasized, however, that Canada would still be accepting 65,000 skilled workers into the country, most of them chosen out of the backlog of applications.
It remains to be seen which other categories may be capped, and at what level.
Stakeholder consultations across the country on the right “mix” or “balance” of immigrants for Canada began two weeks ago, with employers’ associations, immigration lawyers, refugee advocates and other interested parties. Friday’s session
in Montreal was postponed until October, however. Public consultations will be held online starting in August.
Apart from dealing with the backlog, Kenney said he is looking for solutions on how to deal with an impending labour shortage as the population ages, without overburdening Canada’s housing, health care and education systems with too many newcomers.
Janet Dench of the Canadian Council for Refugees worries the minister will place too much emphasis on economic immigrants at the expense of refugees.
More than 35,000 refugees – government-assisted and privately sponsored – are already on the waiting list to come to Canada, and the numbers, especially in Africa, are growing day by day.
Kenney said he has recently added resources to deal with the huge backlog at the Nairobi mission, which serves 18 countries in East Africa, most of them in conflict, and now also struck by famine.
But he also put a cap on the number of privately sponsored refugee applications out of the Nairobi office, Dench said.

Read more:http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Immigration+backlog+major+challenge/5148208/story.html#ixzz1Sy3A8u3q

Bill C-35

Minister of the Economic Development Agency of...Image via WikipediaSome applicants may choose to use such a representative to act on their behalf with Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), the Immigration and Refugee Board or the Canada Border Services Agency.  There are two types of immigration representatives: paid and unpaid.  Paid immigration representatives  Only the following people may charge a fee or receive any other type of consideration, to represent or advise you in connection with a Canadian immigration proceeding or application:  lawyers and paralegals who are members in good standing of a Canadian provincial or territorial law society Notaries who are members in good standing of the Chambre des notaires du Québec, and Immigration consultants who are members in good standing of the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council The Government of Canada will not deal with non-authorized immigration representatives who charge for their services.  NEW: Other people who offer paid immigration advice  With the coming into force of Bill C-35, anyone who provides paid advice prior to the filing of an application or the commencement of a proceeding will need to be an authorized representative. This means that some third parties who were not formerly required to be recognized to provide paid advice will now have to refer people to an authorized representative or become authorized themselves. Some examples of paid advice or representation that will now be captured through the implementation of Bill C-35 include:  representing the applicant during an immigration proceeding by speaking on their behalf. providing guidance to a client on how to select the best immigration stream and complete the appropriate forms. Unpaid immigration third parties  Unpaid third parties, such as family members, friends, non-governmental or religious organizations will still be allowed to act on your behalf.  To protect your privacy, CIC will not share any of your personal information with your consultant, lawyer, and other representative unless you provide your written consent using the Use of a Representative (IMM 5476) form.  Other people who offer immigration advice or assistance  People who provide immigration-related advice or assistance for a fee before the application is filed are not obliged to be authorized consultants. However, be aware that non-authorized consultants, lawyers, and other representatives or advisors are not regulated. This means that they may not have adequate knowledge or training. It also means that you cannot seek help from the professional bodies (that is, the law societies, ICCRC, etc.) if that person provides you with the wrong advice or behaves in an unprofessional way.

Canada’s immigration levels won’t jump drastically, Kenney says

Canada's Immigration Minister Jason Kenney listens to a question while speaking to journalists in the foyer of the House of Commons on Parliament Hill in Ottawa March 7, 2011. Canada needs more immigrants to sustain its economic growth but the Conservative government won't significantly increase immigration levels because Canadians don't want too many newcomers and the federal government can't afford to integrate them either, Citizenship and Immigration Minister Jason Kenney says.

Canada’s Immigration Minister Jason Kenney listens to a question while speaking to journalists in the foyer of the House of Commons on Parliament Hill in Ottawa March 7, 2011. Canada needs more immigrants to sustain its economic growth but the Conservative government won’t significantly increase immigration levels because Canadians don’t want too many newcomers and the federal government can’t afford to integrate them either, Citizenship and Immigration Minister Jason Kenney says.

Photograph by: Chris Wattie, Reuters

Canada needs more immigrants to sustain its economic growth but the Conservative government won’t significantly increase immigration levels because Canadians don’t want too many newcomers and the federal government can’t afford to integrate them either, Citizenship and Immigration Minister Jason Kenney says.
Canada faces a labour shortage and needs immigrants to offset the balance of an aging population, Kenney is expected to tell the Vancouver Board of Trade Tuesday.
“Several studies have concluded that we would have to quadruple immigration levels from 250,000 to more than one million annually in order to maintain the (working) age ratio in the Canadian population. But that’s not going to happen,” he is to say, according to his speaking notes.
“We do not have the resources or ability to integrate a million new immigrants every year. We can’t teach them English or French. We can’t flood our taxpayer-funded services like health care and public education. We don’t put such high pressure on housing and real estate markets,” Kenney explains.
“We must also be very careful not to jeopardize the generally very positive and welcoming attitude toward immigration and immigrants that Canada enjoys,” he later adds.
Only 30 per cent of Canadian immigrants are economic migrants, people selected on the basis of their necessary skills or arranged employment offer, Kenney notes. Another 30 per cent are the spouses or dependents of these individuals and 26 per cent are immigrants from family class while 14 per cent are refugees.
“People want to come to Canada because we are a model for the world. We can’t, however, take all who want to come. There is a limit,” Kenney says.
The Citizenship and Immigration Department is currently consulting with Canadians about amount and the types of people it should accept into the country.
Faced with a backlog of more than a million people in the immigration queue, Kenney says he has issued ministerial instructions to put applicants with experience in key occupations and those with job offers from Canadian employers in front of the line.
“We have enough parents and grandparent applicants for seven years, and this problem is getting worse,” the minister says.
Kenney is also expected to announce that the federal government will increase the number of provincial nominees — immigrants that provinces themselves select based on their own economic needs — from approximately 36,000 to 40,000.

Read more:http://www.canada.com/Canada+immigration+levels+jump+drastically+Kenney+says/5126862/story.html#ixzz1Sbent8vA

Immigrants Outnumber Temporary Foreign Workers by 22 to 1. So What’s the Big Problem?

The May 14th Globe and Mail article on the release of 2009 immigration statistics led with the headline, “Leap in temporary foreign workers will hurt Canada long-term, critics say,” and went on to opine that this “marked a major shift in policy for a country that historically was built through permanent immigration.”
The article continued in an alarmist tone suggesting that Canada’s immigration policy was becoming similar to “European guest-worker programs, which spawned years of social unrest in countries such as Germany.” This betrays a fundamental misunderstanding of Canadian immigration policy and German immigration policy.
Here’s the truth for Canada. On December 1, 2009, there were 282,771 temporary foreign workers in Canada. In 2009, Canada admitted 252,124 permanent residents (immigrants). (CIC, Facts and Figures 2009). Sounds like we have more temporary workers than permanent residents? This is what those who oppose temporary foreign workers claim.
But wait! They are comparing apples and oranges. They are comparing the total number of temporary foreign workers in Canada with the annual intake of permanent immigrants. If we compare total immigrants to total temporary foreign workers in Canada, we have a dramatically different picture. The 2006 Census of Canada reported that there were a total of 6,186,950 immigrants in Canada. (Statistics Canada, Immigrant population by place of birth, by province and territory – 2006 Census).
Therefore, the fact is that immigrants in Canada outnumber temporary foreign workers by 22 to 1! And this figure doesn’t include the roughly 860,000 permanent immigrants Canada has welcomed in the three and a half years since census day in 2006. (CIC, Facts and Figures 2009 )
The truth of the matter is that Canada remains a country dedicated to permanent immigration. In fact recent changes to the immigration legislation creating the Canadian Experience Class, have now made it possible for most temporary foreign workers, who have a permanent job offer in Canada, to apply for immigrant status without leaving Canada, which had not been the case before. It is unfortunate that the legislation excludes temporary foreign workers in lower-skilled occupations but in 2008, they numbered 96,673 or about only 38.5% of the total. (CIC Facts and Figures 2008 Digital Library (available only on CD on request from CIC.)
Now what about Germany? Does the presence of less than 100,000 persons who are not eligible for permanent residence put Canada on a par with Germany? Not by a long shot. In the first place, until 2005, Germany had no legislation allowing permanent residents. Gastarbeiter (guest workers) were admitted on the basis of bilateral agreements with Italy in 1955, then with Spain (1960), Greece (1960), Turkey (1961), Portugal (1964), and Yugoslavia (1968). By 2003, there were over seven million foreigners in Germany. There were 1.9 million Turkish citizens alone, of which 654,000 had been born in Germany but were not eligible for citizenship. It was only in 2000 that Germany’s citizenship legislation allowed any of the guest workers’ children born in Germany to claim German citizenship. (Migration Policy Institute, Germany: Immigration in Transition)
When 8.5% of your population is excluded from qualifying as an immigrant and, in time, obtaining the benefits of citizenship, social unrest is surely likely. When less than one third of one percent are ineligible to apply for immigrant status, it is a different situation entirely.
So, by all means, let’s debate the merits of temporary foreign workers as a means to meet Canada’s labour market needs, but let’s get our facts straight first. Canada is not abandoning its traditional policy of welcoming permanent immigrants in large numbers; nor is Canada creating a mammoth guest worker ghetto. Having said that, let’s focus on an effective program that both meets Canada’s needs and respects the human dignity of all temporary foreign workers in Canada.
Robert Vineberg is a Senior Fellow with the Canada West Foundation. He was, formerly, the Director General, Prairies and Northern Territories Region, Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
%d bloggers like this: